Skip to main content

Veteran's Resources

Central Wyoming College looks forward to the opportunity to serve U.S. veterans.  We have a variety of services at CWC to assist you in transitioning to the college, supporting you while you are here, and helping you move onto your further educational or career goals.  Take a look at some of the resources on the left side of this page that will help you answer many of the questions you will likely have. 



FAQ’s regarding Federal VA Education Benefits


1.       How do I know what education benefits I qualify for with the VA?


Go to the VA’s website to learn about the types of education benefits  and to apply for education benefits.


2.       What do I need to do to use my education benefits at CWC?

  • First, you will need to know what type of benefits you are eligible to utilize (see #1). 
  • Once you have received verification (Certificate of Eligibility) from the VA regarding your education benefits, please contact the CWC Veteran’s Representative, Scott McFarland at 307-855-2150.
  • Generally, you will need to provide the following information in order to begin the certification process at CWC:
    • A copy of your most recent DD-214
    • A copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for education benefits

If you have used your education benefits previously at another institution, you will also need to complete a VA Change of Program or Place of Training form.


3.       What if I cannot locate a copy of my Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?

  • The best way to quickly access the information in cases where a student has lost his or her COE letters is to log into the E-Benefits website.
  • The E-Benefits website allows students to look up their own information from any computer. If the student hasn’t already done so, they will need to apply for their username and password so that they can get access to their COE.


4.       What if I cannot locate a copy of my DD-214?

Replacing Military Records:

Veterans or next-of-kin can get free replacements of discharge or separation papers by completing Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining To Military Records. You can get the form on the Internet.


The forms should be mailed or faxed to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC).

Their address is:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

The fax number is (314) 801-9195


SF 180: Required Information

Tell them that a duplicate separation document or discharge is needed. The request should include the following:

  • Veteran's full name used during service
  • Branch of service
  • Service number or Social Security number
  • Exact or approximate dates and years of service
  • Veteran's signature (or next of kin's signature if the Veteran is dead)

Be sure to print or type the form so that it can be read clearly.


5.       How are my education benefits calculated?


Please refer to the VA website, or contact the CWC Veteran’s Representative for information regarding your specific education benefits.


6.       What are the conditions for using my VA education benefits?

  • The specific period of eligibility for education benefits will be defined by the VA in the veteran’s Certificate of Eligibility (COE), based upon the student’s time of service.  The CWC Veteran’s Representative cannot certify benefits beyond the period approved by the VA.
  • The CWC Veteran’s Representative can only approve courses that are specifically required for the student’s declared program of study.
  • Only one program of study may be certified at a time with the VA.  Dual majors may be allowed only when the two programs are very closely related – as determined by the CWC Veteran’s Representative.
  • Students may change programs as often as they wish, but they must contact the CWC Veteran’s Representative in order to ensure that all changes are properly accounted for with the VA for certification.
  • Students must maintain standards of progress, which include a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and complete a minimum of 67% of all attempted credits.
  • CWC cannot certify the student’s courses once the student has exceeded 96 credits (1.5 times what is needed to obtain an associate’s degree at CWC) in total, including all CWC college-level courses and any applicable transferred courses which apply to the program of study.


7.       Where can I get more information regarding my education benefits?

  • U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.
  • VA Education Call Center: 1-888-442-4551
  • Monthly Verification of Enrollment:
    • Use the VA website.
    • or
    •  1-877-823-2378
  • Direct Deposit Enrollment: 1-877-838-2778
  • eBenefits.

General VA Education Questions:

Lori McGee

State of Wyoming

State Veterans Service Officer

800-833-5987 (WY) or 307-438-2101


8.       Is there also a State of Wyoming benefit for veterans?

  • The State of Wyoming has legislatively approved a benefit for veterans who have served in an overseas combat area (W.S. 19-14-106). 


Educational Benefit:

  • Free Tuition and general fees to any Wyoming community college or the University of Wyoming. 
  • Must be used for Credit Courses
  • 10 semesters of benefit



  • The veteran must have been a resident of Wyoming for at least 1 year before entering military service (CWC looks for a Wyoming address as the Home of Record at Time of Entry on the veteran’s DD-214)
  • Cannot be a Vietnam Veteran (there is a separate benefit for Vietnam Veterans)


Eligibility Window:

  • Must be used within 10 years after Discharge


Continued Eligibility:

  • Must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA and complete a minimum of 67% of all courses attempted.

Benefits may also be available for surviving spouse, surviving legal dependents, and Vietnam veterans.  Please see the CWC Veteran’s Representative for more information.